I love tee shirts! Maybe too much? I have so many shirts that I thought were adorable, or hilarious at the time . . .and have worn maybe twice in ten years. I can't bear to get rid of them, but they either don't fit, or don't fit into my wardrobe anymore. But you know what I'll never outgrow? SHOPPING!! So today I am taking a stack of these tees and making them into stretchy little tote bags so save me from plastic bag after plastic bag on little errands.
Gather your materials and follow along! This is a great activity for a group & for little ones. All you need is:
- A tee shirt, or 4, or 10!
- A sharp pair of scissors
- A pencil or chalk
1. Lay your tee on a firm flat surface and mark cut lines around the collar and sleeves.
2. Cut out the collar and around the sleeves. These cuts will make the handles of your tote bag, so be generous! If the cuts are too close, your handles will be skinny.
3. Cut 2-3" slits across the bottom of your tote, approximately one inch apart.
4. Now it's time to make your no-sew seam! Turn your project inside out, and starting in the middle tie the strips from opposite sides into small knots.
5. Once all of your knots are tied, flip your bag back to right side out et voila! A tee shirt tote bag in 5 minutes!
This guy came out pretty small (I told you these shirts don't fit!) so this will be my drugstore/small errand bag. Luckily I have a whole stack of shirts to make into totes of all sizes!