Bracing for another snowy blast here in NYC as winter gets its last licks in, I'm breaking out the mini crock pot for a small, but indulgent pleasure tonight: slow simmered, super rich crock pot hot cocoa. I'm cocoa-ing for 2, but you can double or triple this recipe to for a whole crowd!
Set your crock pot to low heat and gather your ingredients:
- (2) cups of 2% milk (try soy, almond or coconut milk for a twist)
- (1) tablespoon powdered sugar
- (2) ounces of dark chocolate, or any kind of chocolate you like best (you can also use chocolate chips and save yourself some chopping!)
- Optional - 2 ounces of brewed espresso
- Optional a sprinkle of nutmeg (I put fresh nutmeg on everything, any chance I get)
1. Chop your chocolate into smaller pieces. No need to be neat, we just need it to fit in the crock pot. But, try not to nibble it all away :-)
2. Add your chopped chocolate, powdered sugar, espresso and nutmeg (or any other spices!) to the crock pot and pour in your milk.
3. Leave the crock to do the work while you shovel snow, take a nap, take a bath, read a book, or any other wintry afternoon activity you find relaxing.
4. In 2-3 hours, give your super rich cocoa a swirl, and if all is melted, smooth and silky, ladle into mugs, sit back, sip slowly and savor.