One of the best parts of summer is the variety of sweet seasonal desserts to make (and of course eat)...but the last thing any of us want to do in this heat is stand in the same room as a 400 degree oven. This is where the delectable deliciousness known as the ice cream pie swoops in to save the day. A cool, creamy indulgence that keeps the oven off and truly captures the essence of summer. Here are a few great versions to try:
Banana Split Ice Cream Pie
1 pint(s) vanilla ice cream
1 ready-to-fill chocolate cookie crust
1 pint(s) reduced-fat Dutch chocolate ice cream
1 pint(s) strawberry ice cream
1/4 cup(s) fudge sauce
- Place 1 pint vanilla ice cream in large bowl; stir until smooth but not melted.
- Spread into bottom of a ready-to-fill chocolate cookie crust.
- Freeze 30 minutes until just firm.
- Repeat as above with 1 pint reduced-fat Dutch chocolate ice cream, then 1 pint strawberry ice cream. Cover and freeze until firm.
- Before serving, slightly warm 1/4 cup fudge sauce in microwave. Drizzle over pie; garnish with strawberries.
Graham cracker crust
6 ounces dark chocolate chips (plus a few more for garnish)
2 cups whipping cream
One 8 oz package cream cheese
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chopped peanuts and chocolate sauce for garnish
- In a small pot melt together the 6 ounces dark chocolate chips and 1/2 cup whipping cream. Stir until just melted and no lumps remain, remove from heat. Pour into your crust shell and allow to cool as you make the next layer.
- In a mixer combine 1/4 cup whipping cream, softened cream cheese, peanut butter and brown sugar. Mix until light and fluffy. Add in extract and the remaining 1 1/4 cup whipping cream and beat until stiff peaks form. Spoon over the chocolate layer. Cover and freeze over night. Allow your pie to slightly soften before serving. Sprinkle on more chocolate chips, chopped peanuts and drizzle with chocolate sauce.